Provided below are links that offer additional information:
Bullying / Harassment
- Call Me Capable
"Call Me Capable" is a game that teaches that persons with disabilities are more similar than different.
Disability Benefits and Resources
Disability Law Agencies
Disability Organizations and Service Providers
- ARC Community Support Systems
Assists people with disabilities through advocacy, support, training, employment and housing opportunities in Central Illinois.
- ARC of Illinois
- Council for Exceptional Children
Advocates for appropriate governmental policies, sets professional standards, provides continual professional development, advocates for newly and historically underserved individuals with exceptionalities, and helps professionals obtain conditions and resources necessary for effective professional practice.
- Designs For Change
Connecting the disability community to information and opportunities.
- Family Support Network of Illinois
Information about family support in Illinois.
- Illinois Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Independent Living Research Utilization
Obtain a list of the Centers for Independent Living (CILs) in your state or city. CILs must provide services to persons with all types of disabilities and all age groups.
- The Institute on Disability and Human Development
Promotes the independence, productivity and inclusion of people with disabilities into all aspects of society. IDHD works together with Equip for Equality and the Illinois Council on Developmental Disabilities to make up Illinois' DD network.
- National Rehabilitation Information Center
Collects and disseminates the results of federally funded research projects.
TASH is an international association of people with disabilities, their family members, other advocates, and professionals fighting for a society in which inclusion of all people in all aspects of society is the norm.
Disability Specific Organizations
- The National Fragile X Foundation
Information and resource site for Fragile X syndrome, a hereditary conditio which causes a wide range of mental impairment, from mild learning disabilities to severe mental retardation.
Education of Students with Disabilities
Serving as a catalyst for major improvements in the public schools serving the 50 largest cities in the country, with a particular emphasis on Chicago.
- ERIC - Educational Resources Information Center
- Family Resource Center on Disabilities
A Coalition of Parents and Professional Organizations, Serving the 8 counties around Chicago.
- Illinois School for the Deaf Outreach
- Illinois State Board of Education
- Least Restrictive Environment Clearinghouse
Provide information and resources for parents and teachers to increase their knowledge about how students with disabilities can be successfully integrated and educated in regular classroom settings.
MilitaryK12Partners offers resources, like Special Education Modules, to assist schools that serve military families.
- Military Families with Children with Special Needs Tool Kit
- National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHCY)
NICHCY is the national information center that provides information on specific disabilities and disability-related issues.
- Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)
- Office of Special Education & Rehabilitative Services (OSERS)
- Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights (PACER)
PACER Center expands opportunities and enhances the quality of life of children and young adults with disabilities and their families. Legislative issues, transition from school to work, emotional and behavior disorders.
- Project Choices
Project CHOICES is a "least restrictive environment" initiative funded by the Illinois State Board of Education. There are two components to the Project: CHOICES, which supports school-age children; and Early CHOICES, which supports preschool-age children.
- Special Ed Law
SpecialEdLaw.net is a multidisciplinary internet resource for parents of special needs children, as well as attorneys, special education administrators, teachers, psychologists, and others with a need for information relating to Special Education law.
- Specialized Training of Military Parents (STOMP)
The OSEP-funded PTI for military families across the country.
- Wrightslaw Illinois Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities
- College Information for Adults with Disabilites
- National Center on Student Progress Monitoring
- Parent/Teacher Communication about Behaviors - Allows parents and teachers to communicate about your student's behaviors. Can record behaviors and accomplishments in class.
Health Information and Resources
- Division of Specialized Care for Children at the University of Illinois - Chicago
Administered by the University of Illinois at Chicago, the Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC) is the Illinois Title V agency that provides care coordination for families and children with special health care needs.
Information about the risks and benefits of specific medications.
A source for information on specific disabilities.
- IEP Goal Apps - These apps can be associated to the goal(s) in your child's IEP; some apps may cover more than one goal. Some apps are FREE.
- Special Needs App - This is a complete guide to educational and special needs apps. Categories include skills acquisition, early learning, health and games.
- IEP Goals and Objectives Bank - The IEP Goals and Objectives Bank allows users to locate specific goals in areas such as academic areas, functional goals, motor skill, recreation and leisure, self-management and daily living skills, social emotional, speech and language skills, study skills and vocational/career education and exploration goals.
- Council of Parent Attorneys & Advocates
An independent, nonprofit, tax-exempt organization of attorneys, advocates and parents established to improve the quality and quantity of legal assistance for parents of children with disabilities.
- Equip for Equality
- Illinois Guardianship & Advocacy
The Illinois Guardianship and Advocacy Commission is an executive state agency created to safeguard the rights of persons with disabilities. By providing legal representation, investigating complaints of rights violations and providing state guardianship for Illinois' population with disabilities, the Commission has given voice to those who have previously gone unheard.
- Behavior Charts to use with children
- Chore Chart to use with children
- Empowering Parents
A site that provides tips for dealing with your child's behavior.
- Illinois Mommies Of Miracles
Online support group for moms of children with special needs.
- Family Engagement Framework
"In an effort to strengthen family-school partnerships, over the past year and a half, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has been coordinating across divisions to develop a shared framework guide for engaging families. The ISBE Family Engagement Framework Guide is a tool for ISBE, school districts, and schools to use in developing and expanding school-family partnerships to support improved student learning and healthy development outcomes. This resource brings together research, promising practices, and a consolidation of key program requirements to provide districts, schools, and families with tools to assist with planning, implementation, and evaluation of family engagement
Resources for Parents of Young Children
Research-Based Educational Interventions
Response to Intervention - RtI
Transition / Self-Advocacy / Adult Living